Featured Recipe of the Week: Cheddar, Bacon Mashed Potatoes
Nothing goes together better with good steak than some good mashed potatoes. These healthy, lowfat Cheddar, Bacon Mashed Potatoes are so easy to make and flavorful you will not miss the butter. The key is to boil them in chicken broth (veggie broth if you want it vegetarian).
- 5 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 32 oz chicken broth or enough to cover your potatoes
- 2 cloves of peeled garlic
- 4 oz lowfat sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1/2 cup ff greek yogurt
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Boil your potatoes and garlic in your broth for about 15 minutes or until soft. Drain broth reserving about 1/4-1/2 cup to add back into the potatoes.
2. Smash the potatoes with the greek yogurt and reserved broth. Stir in the cheese, bacon and chives reserving just a little of each to top your taters with. Salt and pepper to taste.
** You can make this recipe Vegan by using vegetable broth, soy cheese, fakin’ bacon and soy yogurt or vegan cream cheese.
Makes ~ 8 servings, 1/2 cup each, 4 points+