Move More: Boot Camp Style Workout!
May 25, 2011 in Move More
Last year, I was lucky enough to attend a 4 month Boot Camp Training program. In addition to the group workouts, the trainers gave us “homework” to do over the weekend. This is one workout that I like to revert back to whenever I am looking to mix things up and get in a good sweat session. This routine works best outdoors (get out and enjoy the sunshine if you have it!) or in an area you have to move around.
If you have any questions about any of the moves, please leave a comment below. Good luck and do tell if you try it out!
Warm Up - 5 minutes of stretching
Perform each of the following for 1-2 minutes.
1. Heel-Toe Walks (start with forward arm circles & when you head back toward mats, reverse to backward arm circles)
2. Straight Leg Marches (touching opposite hand to opposite foot)
3. Walking Lunge with Overhead Reach (pull knee to chest, then extend same leg into lunge position, both arms go up overhead)
4. Walking Crossover Stretch (walk laterally to the right, crossing left foot in front of right foot & bend over to reach fingers toward toes, reverse direction on the way back)
5. Walking Quad Stretch (step forward, reach for right foot w/ right hand behind glute, then repeat on left in a forward walking motion)
6. Butt Kickers (forward running with heels to the glutes)
7. Lateral Shuffles (keep toes on both feet pointing straight in line with your knees, swing arms side to side, lead with one leg & return leading with the other)
8. Carioca or Grapevine
9. Power Skips
35 Push Ups
35 Sit Ups or Crunches
35 Squats (with Weights in the shoulder carry position or Body Weight)
35 Dumbbell Bent Over Rows (slight bend in both knees, chest out, back flat, head in alignment with spine, bend over & pull your elbows back while squeezing your shoulder blades together & then relax your arms & repeat)
If you still have any energy left, hit to road for a 10 minute jog!